The Dove Center, our Women’s Division, is a residential program for female victims of domestic violence and their children.learn more
In 1952, Police Sergeant A.E. McGee began to provide shelter for the homeless and alcoholic men on his beat. He knew there had to be a better place for them than jail. At that time, however, homelessness was stubbornly ignored by the community.
With a vision for what is now known as the Macon Rescue Mission, Officer McGee enlisted his friends to help the homeless, only to be thwarted by public inertia. To his credit, it only took few years for the idea to be revived by the Mission’s first superintendent, Rev. J. Robert Moon and his fellow business leaders.
In January 1956, The Macon Rescue Mission, Inc. was chartered in Bibb Superior Court as a non-profit corporation for the primary purpose of rehabilitating fallen persons.
In the late fifties, Charlie Rushin donated a 100-acre farm to be used for the rehabilitation of alcoholics. Located seventeen miles from downtown Macon, this land was used in addition to the downtown shelter. A dormitory and related units were built on the property and the “farm” was quickly occupied by the residents.
Years later, because of the remote location, the “farm” land and building were sold. The Mission moved to the four-story building at 500 Broadway and the corner of Poplar Street. This historic location with the sign “Jesus Cares” on the roof quickly became a Macon landmark.
In 1981 the Mission began accepting homeless females. At the Broadway location an entire floor was dedicated to caring for female victims of domestic violence and their children. This women’s program, later named the Dove Center, was the first domestic violence shelter in Middle Georgia.
In 2000, Executive Director Dr. Wayne Bevill and the Board of Directors acquired land and built the Mission’s current 20,000 square foot facility in downtown Macon. The building was designed with six sleeping rooms for males and seven rooms for female domestic violence victims and their children. The Mission includes a full service kitchen and cafeteria as well as a chapel.
Although the Mission has always provided food to needy individuals, the Feeding Macon’s Elderly and Disabled program was officially initiated in 2000, providing a large-scale distribution of food boxes. The Mission also began an organized system of distributing diapers and hygiene kits to those in need.
In 2004, we acquired the land located at 3375 Napier Avenue, which is the location of our Bargain Center.
Unlike other facilities, the Macon Rescue Mission is not affiliated with any national organization. We are home-grown and rely heavily on the generosity of our kind neighbors.